Law Offices of Robert M. Kaplan, P.C.
Schaumburg Family Law Attorney

How do I get child support that is owed to me?

Because of the complexity of the legal system and the necessity to follow the proper steps in order to receive the money owed to you, seeking legal counsel is a good idea. Illinois attorney, Robert M. Kaplan PC is experienced in all aspects of family law and will guide you through the process of receiving child support due to you.

Caring for children can be costly and often the custodial parent relies on child support payments to make ends meet. When a parent does not pay, it can create a financial hardship for you and your child. Fortunately, if you have a court agreement, you will likely have legal recourse to receive the money owed to you.

Collecting Child Support in Illinois

If you have a court-ordered child support agreement and the child’s non-custodial parent has failed to pay for child support, the courts may be able to help you receive your eligible back child support as well as future payments.

Often, unless both parties agreed otherwise, child support is taken directly from the parent’s paycheck. If you both have agreed not to have it taken directly from the paycheck, you may still have legal recourse. 

A court-ordered child support agreement entitles you to receive child support as long as:

  • The non-custodial parent has a steady job and paycheck
  • The judge has entered a child support order

Contact Our Schaumburg IL Law Firm

If payments are not made, the judge may file to garnish their wages in order to reclaim delinquent child support money. To do so, filing a “Notice to Withhold Income for Support” will be necessary. If the non-custodial parent intentionally violates the court order, they may be found in contempt of court and potentially face jail time. If you have more questions on child support, please contact the Law Offices of Robert M. Kaplan for a consultation

If you have difficulty using our website, please email us or call us at (847) 845-9477
View the ADA Accessibility Statement