Divorce mediation is an amicable option for couples with a shared goal of uncoupling or who are committed to working together to dissolve their partnership in a cooperative, amenable setting. Ultimately, mediation is an opportunity for you and your partner to create an outcome guided by state law but not bound by it.
Working with a mediator has its perks––most notably, it helps reduce legal fees, you can go at your own pace, and you can keep intimate details of your life private. Mediation is the ideal approach for some couples. However, it's still recommended that you speak with an attorney, so you understand your legal rights.
If you and your spouse are considering divorce mediation in Schaumburg, please consider giving our legal team a call so we can help you have a fair and equitable divorce.
Why Might I Need a Lawyer in Divorce Mediation?
An attorney can help you understand your legal exposure, including best and worst case scenarios for debt, property, reimbursements, child custody, financial support, and more.
Depending on the complexity of your case, you may only need a few hours with an experienced and skilled attorney to review your options and proposed agreements.
Sometimes, divorcing spouses choose to retain a lawyer to join in a specific mediation session or coach, support, and strategize their divorce through the mediation process.
An attorney can also help in the following ways:
- Educate you on your state's divorce and property laws (e.g., marital property division, calculation of child or spousal support)
- Explain the procedures and rules of mediation
- Help choose a fair, impartial mediator if the court hasn't selected one
- Prepare you for mediation
- Help you decide on potential settlements
- Review a settlement proposal and look for missing details or other potential issues
- Prepare formal divorce documentation if you reach a settlement in mediation
- Review proposed agreements for fairness, legality, and potential errors
Contact Us About Divorce Mediation in Schaumburg
Our team at the Law Offices of Robert M. Kaplan, P.C. have several years of experience working with couples in divorce mediation. We have helped numerous couples attain shared and equitable goals during divorce and have successful mediation sessions. If you and your spouse are considering divorce mediation, please don't hesitate to contact us for legal support and guidance.