Law Offices of Robert M. Kaplan, P.C.
Schaumburg Family Law Attorney

Where do I file for bankruptcy if I haven’t lived in the same state or district for the last two years?

You must wait until you have lived in a state for 91 days before you can file your bankruptcy case there. If you lived in your current state for more than 91 days but less than two years, you will file in your current state but use the exemptions from where you lived for the majority of the 180 day period immediately previous to the 2 year period before you filed.  

Contact Our Schaumburg IL Law Firm

If you need help navigating the bankruptcy process in Illinois, please contact our Schaumburg IL law firm to schedule a consultation.

If you have difficulty using our website, please email us or call us at (847) 845-9477
View the ADA Accessibility Statement