Law Offices of Robert M. Kaplan, P.C.
Schaumburg Family Law Attorney

I want my ex-spouse to contribute to my child's college education, how can I make this happen?

Hopefully, your divorce decree sets forth an obligation to contribute to your child’s college education. However, in the event it doesn’t the Illinois courts can make a divorced parent contribute toward their child’s college expenses. If you have not been divorced yet or if your divorce decree does not require a contribution to your child’s college education, then you must file a petition with the Court. Once that petition is filed, you have preserved the issue as of the date of filing, and you will exchange financial information with the other parent to determine whether a contribution is likely to be ordered.

Contact Our Schaumburg IL Law Firm

Do you have more questions about college expenses in relation to child support? Please contact our Schaumburg IL law firm for a consultation. 

If you have difficulty using our website, please email us or call us at (847) 845-9477
View the ADA Accessibility Statement