Law Offices of Robert M. Kaplan, P.C.

What steps do I take to adopt my stepchild?

If the biological father (for example) is still alive, he must agree to terminate his parental rights–or a trial on the issue of terminating parental rights must be held. Next, you have to prove your fitness to parent to the court. This step is usually not as burdensome unless you have a criminal background, however, even persons with criminal backgrounds can adopt under the right circumstances.

If you have difficulty using our website, please email us or call us at (847) 845-9477
View the ADA Accessibility Statement