Law Offices of Robert M. Kaplan, P.C.

How do I change or modify my custody or visitation order?

If there has been a substantial change in circumstances since your divorce judgment was entered, either because of changes in your children’s life or changes in your life, then you may have grounds to seek to modify the judgment. The first step is to file a petition to modify alleging a substantial change in circumstances with the court. Issues related to your children are always modifiable. Maintenance or alimony is sometimes modifiable. Properly done property settlements are never modifiable unless an error occurred in drafting or a fact was not disclosed at the time of entry of judgment (i.e., a hidden asset is later uncovered). To determine whether your instrument is modifiable, you should consult a lawyer.